55560Re: Bug on FreeBSD 5.4

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Dec 3, 2009
      On 03/12/09 08:03, JD wrote:
      > On Dec 3, 1:46 am, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@...>
      > wrote:
      >> On 03/12/09 05:20, JD wrote:
      >>
      >>> Vim is hardlocking for me on every single run on my FreeBSD 5.4
      >>> system. I've tried 7.2.299, 7.2.309 and 7.2.315 and all are broken.
      >>
      >>> It appears to compile fine, but on run, it fails to respond to any
      >>> keystrokes and eats nearly 100% of my CPU till I send it a
      >>> SIGKILL...Please help. :)
      >>
      >>> Thanks
      >>
      >> Does it always hang, even if you start it as
      >>
      >> vim -N -u NONE
      >> or
      >> gvim -N -u NONE
      >> ?
      >>
      >> Best regards,
      >> Tony.
      >> --
      >> Re graphics: A picture is worth 10K words -- but only those to describe
      >> the picture. Hardly any sets of 10K words can be adequately described
      >> with pictures.
      >
      > It appears to work fine launching vim with -N -u NONE, when not
      > launching with '-N -u NONE', i've so far narrowed it down to 2
      > filetypes. I tried opening a ruby script, a perl script, a python
      > script and a C++ source file and the only ones that failed and caused
      > vim to lock were the ruby script and the perl script. I moved the
      > affected scripts to a different directory (same dir as the C++ source)
      > and the issue still occurred and as far as i can tell, the permissions
      > on all 4 files are the same.

      Hm. This is a little bit out of my depth, but I suggest the following:

      - does the hang still happen when editing these filetypes in a Vim
      started with

      vim -u /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/vimrc_example.vim

      ? (assuming that that's your $VIMRUNTIME directory -- it should be,
      unless you changed the default at compile-time or unless you're using an
      obsolete version older than 7.2.0)

      - did you compile with +ruby or -ruby, +perl or -perl ? (see the output
      of ":version" -- if you enable them at configure-time, but configure
      doesn't find the right files, it will turn them off)
      - do you have any "custom" scripts (scripts not distributed with Vim)
      which apply to Perl and/or Ruby? (and which ones if you do?)
      - what are the dates mentioned near the top of the _text_ of the
      following scripts? I'm mentioning what I see in mine

      $VIMRUNTIME/filetype.vim 2009 Sep 18
      $VIMRUNTIME/ftplugin/perl.vim 20 Jan 2009
      $VIMRUNTIME/ftplugin/ruby.vim 2008/06/29 04:18:43
      $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/perl.vim 2006 November 23
      $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/ruby.vim 2008/06/29 04:33:41
      $VIMRUNTIME/indent/perl.vim 2005 Sep 07
      $VIMRUNTIME/indent/ruby.vim 2008/06/29 04:18:43

      - does the hang happen if you do
      (a) syntax off
      (b) filetype indent off
      (c) filetype plugin off
      before editing the files? (try them one at a time, and turn them back on
      afterwards)

      The law will never make men free; it is men who have got to make the
      law free.
      -- Henry David Thoreau