54981Re: Bug: 'l' breaks macro when run at the end of line

  • Milan Vancura
    Sep 16, 2009

      > Milan Vancura wrote:
      >
      > > thank you for the answer.
      > >
      > > > The main reason is Vi compatibility.
      > >
      > > So what about an option changing this behaviour (causing all movements throwing
      > > an error if they can't be done) and add that option to be a part of what
      > > 'compatible' sets?
      > >
      > > > The reasoning is that if the cursor doesn't move at all for a movement
      > > > command then it's an error. If it can move less than intended then this
      > > > is not handled like an error. It's common to do 999l to go as far right
      > > > as possible.
      > >
      > > As I mentioned above: I think the right behaviour is that '999l' ends with an
      > > error if there are less than 999 chars to the right and users should use '$'
      > > for reaching the end of line.
      > >
      > > > Note that there are a few exceptions, again for Vi compatibility.
      > >
      > > Sure, I understand. I will not fight if you say strict 'no' to my idea.
      >
      > In my opinion there are too many options already. I don't like
      > confusing the user with yet another way to change behavior in mysterious
      > ways.

      BTW, we already have an option for a linewise version of this problem.
      Respectively a flag in the option: :h cpo--
      So what we only need is a characterwise version of this flag and to turn both
      of them on by default in vim (or after :set nocompatible).

      I found nothing mysterious about using '$' to reach the end of line instead of
      <magical_constant>l :-)

      Milan