54836Re: what supported platforms would be lost of one killed vim's own mainloop in favor of glib

  • Ronny Pfannschmidt
    Aug 14, 2009
      On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Lech Lorens <lech.lorens@...> wrote:

      > On 04-Aug-2009 RonnyPfannschmidt <ronny.pfannschmidt@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > hi,
      > >
      > > just wondering what would be lost if vim's own mainloop was replaced
      > > by or at least properly integrated with the glib mainloop
      > >
      > > as it would help to integrate things like gio (direct ssh/http file
      > > access) and dbus
      > >
      > > also the current way to deal with gtk and its mainloop seems like a
      > > big hack that works around vim's mainloop being there first
      > >
      > > Regards Ronny
      >
      > If you expect anyone to answer your question, I believe you should
      > elaborate a little bit on the subject. We are either too lazy (e.g. me)
      > or too busy to be able to dig into every hint of a subject that is
      > brought up on the list.
      > Would you mind explaining the possibilities, benefits, costs, risks of
      > using Glib?
      the cost is certainly loss of some of the stoneage supported platforms
      that virtually nobody uses today

      the benefits and possibilities are
      * integration of dbus as control protocol
      * better integration of gtk
      * using gio to access files on ssh/smb/nfs/http/whatever else gio supports
      * use of a event/mainloop system that is widely used and understand

      Regards, Ronny