54515git conflicted merge

  • _sc_
    Jun 25, 2009
      my latest update ended unpolitely:

      [...]
      * refs/remotes/origin/vim-with-runtime: fast forward to branch 'vim-with-runtime' of git://repo.or.cz/vim_extended
      old..new: 15fb691..68e4f6c
      Auto-merged runtime/doc/autocmd.txt
      CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in runtime/doc/autocmd.txt
      Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.
      You are in the middle of a conflicted merge.

      how do i get git to tell me what the conflict is, and resolve it?

      the first thing i tried is to perform a

      git reset --hard HEAD

      in order to get out of my 'conflicted merge' status -- then i
      navigated to runtime/doc and deleted autocmd.txt, thinking there
      would be less chance of conflict if there were nothing on my end
      for it to conflict with, but again the merge failed and git is
      halted in the middle of a conflicted merge

      specifically, what i am attempting here is to merge the
      runtime/doc/autocmd.txt from 'vim-with-runtime' into 'custom',
      which implies there was no problem merging the
      origin/feat/rel-line-numbers

      following is my update script, with tee's and logging removed:

      #!/bin/bash
      set -e
      cd ~/.build/vim/vim72/vim_extended
      git checkout custom
      git fetch
      git merge origin/feat/rel-line-numbers
      git checkout -- runtime/doc/tags
      git merge origin/vim-with-runtime

      should i try to find out what the conflict is with some form of git
      diff, fix, and commit it, or is it something that needs to be fixed
      on the repository end? or...

      sc