54415Re: vim 7.2 compiles fine on MSYS but it doesn't execute

  • Matt Wozniski
    Jun 7, 2009
      On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Cesar Romani wrote:

      > Thanks a lot for your help.
      > Actually when I press backspace, it behaves like the cursor left and
      > when I press escape the characters left behind are deleted.
      > CTRL-h cannot delete either, neither :fixdel can fix the backspace.
      > But When I create a .vimrc file with null content in my home directory,
      > the backspace works, strange!

      That's actually the expected behavior; see :help compatible-default
      and :help cpo-v

      The upshot is that when you don't have a vimrc, vim defaults to vi
      compatibility, and "Backspaced characters remain visible on the screen
      in Insert mode," and when you do have a vimrc you no longer get the
      somewhat irritating vi-compatible behavior; instead "the characters
      are erased from the screen right away."

      ~Matt