54397Re: vim 7.2 compiles fine on MSYS but it doesn't execute

  • Cesar Romani
    Jun 6, 2009
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Cesar Romani wrote:
      >
      >> I tried compiling vim 7.2 with termcap on MSYS, and it compiles fine.
      >> However, when I execute it, I get:
      >> --------------------
      >> $ vim
      >> Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
      >> Vim: Finished.
      >> --------------------
      >>
      >> If I run gdb on it, I get:
      >> --------------------
      >> $ gdb vim.exe
      >> GNU gdb 6.8
      >> Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
      >> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
      >> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
      >> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
      >> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show
      copying"
      >> and "show warranty" for details.
      >> This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-mingw32"...
      >> (gdb) run
      >> Starting program: C:\msys\1.0\home\Romer\msys\vim72\src/vim.exe
      >> [New thread 5908.0xfec]
      >> Vim: Warning: Output is not to a terminal
      >> Vim: Warning: Input is not from a terminal
      >> [New thread 5908.0x580]

      >> 0x004fee32 in set_termname (
      >> term=0x3a6c3532 <Address 0x3a6c3532 out of bounds>) at term.c:1866
      >> 1866 if (STRCMP(term, "pcterm") == 0)
      >> --------------------
      >>
      >> The compilation and execution of vim for win32 with MingW is fine and I
      >> want to compile it on the MSYS environment because the vim version there
      >> is too old, 5.8
      >
      > Strange that it crashes there. Earlier in the set_termname() function
      > there is this line:
      >
      > if (term_is_builtin(term))
      >
      > Try setting a breakpoint there.
      >
      > With weird errors I suspect the compiler. Did you disable the
      > optimizer? There are quite a few versions of gcc with bugs in the
      > optimizer code.

      The gcc version I'm using is 2.95.3-1
      and the optimizer isn't disabled:
      CFLAGS = -g -O2

      If I put a break at line 1615:
      if (term_is_builtin(term))
      I get:
      --------------------
      (gdb) break term.c:1615
      Breakpoint 1 at 0x4fcdee: file term.c, line 1615.
      (gdb) run
      The program being debugged has been started already.
      Start it from the beginning? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from
      terminal]
      Starting program: C:\msys\1.0\home\Romer\msys\vim72\src/vim.exe
      [New thread 3524.0x7b8]
      Vim: Warning: Output is not to a terminal
      Vim: Warning: Input is not from a terminal
      [New thread 3524.0x59c]

      Breakpoint 1, set_termname (term=0xa0158b8 "msys") at term.c:1615
      1615 if (term_is_builtin(term))

      Regards,