54156Re: More request for 2html :)

  • Tony Mechelynck
    May 2, 2009
      On 01/05/09 00:11, Wu, Yue wrote:
      > On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 07:05:53AM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
      >> On Apr 29, 10:22 pm, "Wu, Yue"<vano...@...> wrote:
      [...]
      >>> new feature request comes :) If 2html supports translating the tags jumping
      >>> to hypertext, it would be much more great.
      >>>

      >> I think this would be extremely difficult to do right in Vim script,
      >> and it is hard to tell exactly how to go about it. I think it would be
      >> far beyond the scope of 2html.vim, and additionally (if I understand
      >> you correctly) this is a task that is already accomplished by many
      >> readily available tools. Just do a google search or poke around on
      >> sourceforge. "Tags jumping" is kind of open to interpretation, so I'm
      >> not sure exactly what you want, but there are tools to create html
      >> with embedded links, tree views, etc. based on all sorts of plaintext
      >> documents.
      >
      > I don't know the web relating technology, but I think 2html can use the tag
      > file of the current document, and then make all |foo| and *foo* in the
      > document as a hypertext? Is it hard to implement?

      Well, in Vim help files, |this| is indeed a link, but so is 'that'.
      However, where it gets complicated is that not only [range] is a link,
      but also that you can double click (or hit Ctrl-] on) any word anywhere
      in the help text, and if there is a tag by that name (or if there isn't,
      a tag containing that name) you'll be brought to it. But if you
      linkified any word which appeared as a tag, you'd sometimes get
      preposterous results. For instance, in the HTML help
      http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/ any occurrence of the pronoun
      "it" is linkified, because there is a text object named "it" (inner HTML
      tag block) and it has a tag.

      But tags are not limited to the Vim help. You can use ctags to generate
      tags files for source programs in most languages, and then you can click
      any use of any identifier anywhere in the source, and see where it was
      defined (provided of course, that the source file containing the
      definition was one of those analyzed by ctags to produce this tagfile).
      Now an identifier can be almost any word (and, if it is e.g. a
      variable-name, it doesn't particularly stand out the way function names
      do by virtue of being followed by an open bracket).

      There is a theory that states: "If anyone finds out what the universe
      is for it will disappear and be replaced by something more bazaarly
      inexplicable."

      There is another theory that states: "This has already happened ...."
      -- Douglas Adams, "Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy"