52929Re: Is vim really fully unicoded?

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Jan 6, 2009
      On 07/01/09 04:17, Yue Wu wrote:
      > On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:55:33 +0800, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      >> On 07/01/09 03:38, Yue Wu wrote:
      >> [...]
      >>> I always think that a normal operator is only used for
      >>> normal mode by keyboard,[...]
      >> Oh? I have the opposite impression. For normal mode by keyboard, I don't
      >> use
      >>
      >> :normal yl<Enter>
      >>
      >> but
      >>
      >> yl
      >>
      >> To me, the ":normal" command is _only_ useful in scripts, in order to
      >> run in Ex mode the key sequences meant for Normal mode.
      >
      > I mean I prevent using yl from :normal if there is a function :yank :)

      There is a ":yank" command but it acts linewise. Here we want a
      characterwise yank, so we cannot use :yank.

      The function you proposed is so complex I would run much more risk when
      trying to construct it than with ":normal yl".

      If the complexity is similar, I use the ex-command in scripts, for
      instance ":wincmd k" rather than ":normal ^Wk" where ^W would be
      obtained by hitting Ctrl-V followed by Ctrl-W.

      ARTHUR: Shut up! Will you shut up!
      DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
      ARTHUR: Shut up!
      DENNIS: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
      HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!
      The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty
      Python)