52906Re: Race condition during file saving

  • Nikolai Weibull
    Jan 4, 2009
      On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 16:26, Adam Osuchowski <adwol@...> wrote:

      > Nikolai Weibull wrote:

      >> I haven't really understood what the problem is (I don't believe that
      >> there actually is one),

      > There is a non-zero time period between open file and write complete
      > content. Because vim truncate file while opening (O_TRUNC), another
      > process which would like to read it can hit in the moment when file will
      > be empty.

      Yeah, so? That's not a bug. File systems are, generally, not
      databases with ACID properties. They don't provide transactions (at
      the level we're discussing).

      >> but would opening the file exclusively solve the problem?

      > Do you mean O_EXCL flag to open syscall? It doesn't protect against
      > such a situation. It only guarantee that file doesn't exist prior to
      > call open in atomic manner.

      No, I mean both O_EXCL (so that a file hasn't been created in between
      the time the original file has been renamed and the new one opened - a
      case so far not mentioned (or?)) and flock:ing it (but, as I
      understand from the man page, this doesn't seem to be very interesting