52901Re: Race condition during file saving

  • Adam Osuchowski
    Jan 4, 2009
      Matt Wozniski wrote:
      > rename(2) doesn't do everything needed.

      Right, but current behaviour is even worse. We can't protect if somebody
      create file while vim saves it due to system limitations, but we can
      protect against completely lack of file or situation when it is partially
      written.

      > rename() would break the link, which probably isn't what you want an
      > editor to do...

      Right, but definitely there are fewer multi hard linked files than singles.
      Again, we can't protect against such situation because of POSIX syscalls
      nature, so maybe vim should identify if there is hard link and unless,
      it will do atomic file replacement. I know, there is another race
      condition (between stat() and rename()) but it is more unlikely case.