52244Re: Bug: :echo output missing with QuickFix and Command-line windows

    Nov 1, 2008
      Michael Henry wrote:

      > It appears that the output from :echo and :echomsg does not
      > show up properly when used from the Command-line window
      > while a QuickFix window is open.
      >
      > Steps to reproduce:
      >
      > - Startup Vim clean:
      >
      > vim -u NONE -N
      >
      > - Test regular :echo command:
      >
      > :echo "Hello"<CR>
      >
      > This works properly.
      >
      > - Open command-line window:
      >
      > q:
      >
      > - Cursor up to :echo "Hello", press Enter to execute.
      >
      > This works properly.
      >
      > - Open the QuickFix window:
      >
      > :copen<CR>
      >
      > - Re-open the Command-line window:
      >
      > q:
      >
      > - Cursor up to :echo "Hello", press Enter to execute.
      >
      > The expected output ("Hello") does not show up (or perhaps
      > more likely, shows up but is subsequently erased, as my
      > testing with :redir shows that "Hello" is actually written).

      If you use:
      :echo "hello\nthere"

      You get the hit-enter prompt before redrawing te display. So it's
      indeed that closing the command-line window causes a redraw and that
      clears the message.

      Forcing the hit-enter prompt would be a solution, but at the same time
      may annoy quite a few users.

      I'll make a remark in the todo list if it's possible to redraw without
      erasing the message. Don't expect this soon though.

      162. You go outside and look for a brightness knob to turn down the sun.