52211Re: Gvim for Windows doesn't handle non-BMP characters when interchanging data with Windows OS

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Oct 22, 2008
      On 22/10/08 18:25, JiaYanwei wrote:
      > **Oh, I had made a mistake, I want to say "They're really similar
      > problems"
      > the first sentence.
      >
      > On 2008-10-23 00:16:20, JiaYanwei
      > > Hello Tony,
      > >
      > > It's really to be the similar problem, but this one only arise under
      > Windows
      > > operating system, the UTF-16le BOM problem is platform independence.
      > I was
      > > uncertain wherher a combined patch was convenient.

      Actually, to most Windows programs "Unicode" actually means "UTF-16le
      with BOM"; however they usually can read (but not write) other Unicode
      encodings if a BOM is present. So IIUC it's actually another aspect of
      the same problem.

      However, Bram has taken the custom to separate patches for "Unix"
      (including common), "extra" (including Windows and VMS) and "language"
      sources, so these two patches should perhaps be kept separate after all.

      If all the world's economists were laid end to end, we wouldn't reach a
      conclusion.
      -- William Baumol