52148Re: New feature: cursor at the beginning of tab character in normal mode

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Oct 7, 2008
      On 06/10/08 21:38, Vladimir A. Pavlov wrote:
      > On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 at 02:37 Richard Hartmann wrote:
      >> I would suggest adapting the helpfiles to reflect the above, though.
      >
      > I found the section called "VIEWING TABS" in the chapter 05.7 of the
      > standard vim manual. It contains the following:
      >
      >> :set listchars=tab:>-,trail:-
      >
      > with the explanation what the setting does. However there is no
      > word concerning cursor position there. That chapter seems to be the
      > best place to write how to emulate the "standard" cursor behaviour
      > in vim. But:
      > 1. it would be difficult for a novice who came from another editor
      > to find that place and he/she won't probably find the solution of
      > the problem. Are there better places?

      What about under either or both of ":help 'list'" and ":help
      'listchars'" instead? Wouldn't that be more "discoverable"? (And ├żese
      options are referenced from that 05.7 section.)

      > 2. is the solution in question correct on all platforms/terminals so
      > that we are allowed to add such a comment to the help file? It
      > works on x86 and x86_64 in xterm and linux terminals but what
      > about others?

      It works the same way in the GTK2 GUI, and I don't see why it wouldn't
      work the same way in other cases, including not only other Linux GUIs
      and terminals, but also Windows, Mac, Amiga, VMS, whatever...

      >> Vladimir, I suspect Bram would accept a patch against the help.
      >
      > Bram, would you?
      >
      > --
      > Vladimir

      Please, won't somebody tell me what diddie-wa-diddie means?