51928Re: (patch) Lua interface

  • Luis Carvalho
    Sep 1, 2008
      Hi Ag.,

      > My only question is (from :help lua-vim):
      >
      > vim.open({fname}) Opens a new buffer for file {fname} and
      > returns it. Note that the buffer
      > is not set as current.
      >
      > And then few lines below:
      >
      > :lua vim.open"myfile"() -- open buffer and set it as current
      >

      > They both work as advertised, but why this idiom? Is there any other way
      > to have the same result, but to be a little bit less confusing?
      > If there is a reason to stay like this, at least (for me), it looks more
      > natural exactly the opposite, so:
      >
      > lua vim.open('somefile')
      >
      > it should open the file and set is as current.

      I guess I've overused the syntactic sugar. The line

      :lua vim.open"myfile"()

      is equivalent to

      :lua local b = vim.open("myfile"); b()

      that is, b is the new buffer for myfile and b() sets it as the current buffer.
      I didn't want to force vim.open to set the buffer to be current as that might
      not be what the user wants.

      Thanks for taking the time and testing if_lua!

      Cheers,
      Luis.

      -- Pablo Picasso

      --