50233Re: Patch 7.1.295

  • Dominique Pelle
    May 8, 2008
      On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Dominique Pelle
      <dominique.pelle@...> wrote:
      > On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 5:00 AM, Tony Mechelynck
      > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

      >>> In the CVS repository, src/gvimtutor is missing:
      >>>
      >>> cp gvimtutor /usr/bin/gvimtutor
      >>> cp: cannot stat `gvimtutor': No such file or directory
      >>> make[1]: *** [installtutorbin] Error 1
      >>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/vim/vim7/src'
      >>> make: *** [install] Error 2
      >>>
      >>> Chris
      >>>

      >> gvimtutor is new. Maybe the CVS repository is slightly out-of-date? What
      >> does its version.h mention as "applied patches" (at line 669 or
      >> thereabouts)? Applying this patch (respecting patch sequence) ought to
      >> create the gvimtutor file.
      >>
      >> Best regards,
      >> Tony.
      >

      > I get the same error after downloading latest vim from CVS
      > and trying to install it:
      >
      > pel@pel-laptop:~/sb/vim7$ sudo make install
      > [sudo] password for pel:
      > Starting make in the src directory.
      > If there are problems, cd to the src directory and run make there
      > cd src && make install
      > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/pel/sb/vim7/src'
      > if test -f /usr/local/bin/vim; then \
      > mv -f /usr/local/bin/vim /usr/local/bin/vim.rm; \
      > rm -f /usr/local/bin/vim.rm; \
      > fi
      > cp vim /usr/local/bin
      > #strip /usr/local/bin/vim
      > chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/vim
      > cp vimtutor /usr/local/bin/vimtutor
      > chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/vimtutor
      > cp gvimtutor /usr/local/bin/gvimtutor
      > cp: cannot stat 'gvimtutor': No such file or directory
      > make[1]: *** [installtutorbin] Error 1
      > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pel/sb/vim7/src'
      > make: *** [install] Error 2
      >

      > I did "sudo make -k install" as a workaround which
      > installed vim-7.1.297 (which is the latest vim according
      > to www.vim.org) but somehow gvimtutor is missing
      > from CVS.
      >
      > -- Dominique

      I also see in the link below that someone gets the same
      problem when building from debian/Ubunutu source package
      apparently:

      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/219546/comments/13

      # Generate language-specific sections of
      # vim-{runtime,common,gui-common}.install files
      dh_installman
      dh_install -X.svn --fail-missing
      dh_install: usr/bin/gvimtutor exists in debian/tmp but is not
      installed to anywhere
      dh_install: missing files, aborting
      make: *** [install-stamp-vim-basic] Error 1
      dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error
      exit status 2

      -- Dominique