49265Re: VIM and NTFS streams

  • Paul LeoNerd Evans
    Feb 5, 2008
      On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 02:25:26 -0800 (PST)
      krischik <krischik@...> wrote:

      > Sad that everybody else only sees only hurdles and risks of change and
      > not the chances and the risk of no-change.
      >
      > And yes: there is a rist of no-change!

      I have to agree with krischik here. At University, I once got stuck in a
      problem with some of the other mathematicians, who were all of the
      opinion that "Yes, I'll have tea if you're having tea". Problem was,
      nobody actually had tea. It took one of the lawyers to stand up and say
      "Alright then, I'll have tea." Then all the mathmos jumped ship.

      An amusing story perhaps, but it proves the point. In all things like
      this, someone needs to jump first. Does it really matter who that is, as
      long as someone does?

      It's been a bone of contention of mine for years, the way modified keys
      work in terminals. Five years ago XTerm gained ways to express generic
      modified keys (e.g. Ctrl-Shift-Left). Only recently did any application,
      such as Vim, start to understand those. It's always been a "you jump,
      I'll jump" situation - why should the terminal send sequences nobody
      would understand, or why should any application look for sequences nobody
      would send? Someone has to go first.

      Back to the subject of EAs - someone already has gone first. The GNU
      fileutils already support EAs. As does tar. I also know that the lighttpd
      webserver uses them by default, only falling back on filename-based
      detection if the file doesn't have a "Content-Type" EA.

      It'd be lovely if Vim could set those for it.

      --
      Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

      leonerd@...
      ICQ# 4135350 | Registered Linux# 179460