49255Re: VIM and NTFS streams

  • Ben Schmidt
    Feb 4, 2008
      > Ahh, indeed, there is the problem and the reason why computing has not
      > advanced as much in the last 15 years as one would have expected
      > seeing the 15 years before: Backward compatibilty has hobbled us.

      Indeed, I think it has. The Mac OS used to use resource forks and type attributes
      which were beautiful. Now we have descended to the level of extensions and magic
      numbers like everyone else. The filesystem supports resource forks and named
      forks, but nobody's really using them yet--indeed, if anything, at the moment they
      add confusion because some parts of the OS detect file types that way rather than
      by extension, when available, so it's hard to know what's going on.

      Ben.