49234Re: VIM and NTFS streams

  • Alexei Alexandrov
    Feb 2, 2008
      krischik wrote:
      > On 31 Jan., 19:57, Alexei Alexandrov <alexei.alexand...@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> 2 notes here:
      >
      >> 1. I think NTFS streams is useless feature.
      >
      > NTFS Streams can be used for the very same stuff resource streams on
      > MacOS or extended attributes on OS/2 / Linux are used.

      I'm not aware well of Linux mechanisms for storing extended attributes
      inside files on Linux. Word "Linux" looks strange to me here in fact -
      it might a property of extX filesystem, but it doesn't have to do
      anything with Linux I think since I may use other systems for root mount
      point - reiserfs, for example. Do you have exact answers to the
      following questions:
      * Which mechanism is used on Linux to store these extended attributes on
      Linux? Is it filesystem-based? If yes, which filesystems currently have
      it implemented?
      * Which applications use this feature on Linux? Are they OS-specific?
      Are there application programs that use this? Are those programs
      portable? If yes, how they deal with absence of this feature on other
      file systems?

      These are exactly questions which I would ask myself if I would be
      designing something new and would be considering using NTFS file
      streams. Will there be FAT32 file system clients? Would I care to port
      the program to other system some time later? Et cetera. And most (if not
      all) programs choose to use simple abstractions (files/directories)
      available on all modern systems because it works well, because you'd
      better keep it simple and because there are more important things to
      focus on.

      >> I've never seen any
      >> practical example of the usefulness of this.
      >
      > You might want to get yourself the demo version of 4NT (http://
      > www.jpsoft.com/) and then use "DIR /:" a bit - you might be surprised
      > how many streams are already used on your system. Most notably:
      >
      > 12.12.2007 14:03 1'670 _H_A_________ .vimrc
      > 0
      > {4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}:$DATA

      This looks like a default data stream in this file. I don't see that
      there are 2 streams here - am I overlooking something?

      P.S. I do see some cases where the data streams feature might be useful.
      For example, anti-virus program might store some information about the
      scanned file in a separate stream. But when I think of it more I realize
      that even in these cases data streams approach would be questionable and
      that there other ways to implement it with potentially better
      performance and less limitations. For example, you cannot attach a new
      data stream to a file which is available to you as read-only.

      P.P.S. Thanks for reading to this point! :) Sorry for a long post and
      somewhat clumsy English.

      --
      Alexei Alexandrov