48387Re: creating a development environemnt for VIM

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Nov 5, 2007
      Matthew Wozniski wrote:
      > On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:45:54AM +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >> Matthew Wozniski wrote:
      >>> Also, this doesn't belong on vim-dev, it belongs on vim-use. vim-dev is for
      >>> submitting and discussing bug reports and patches. I'm setting the reply-to
      >>> address accordingly.
      >>>
      >>> ~Matt
      >> You didn't, or Google Groups overrode you, but that doesn't matter. Vim-dev is
      >> also for questions about configuring and compiling Vim. These questions
      >> definitely belong here.
      >
      > Ah, terribly sorry. Usually, -dev groups are only for patches/bug reports.
      > And google groups definitely just overrode me. Ah, well.
      >
      >> As I said a couple of days ago, see also
      >> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm for a step-by-step
      >> tutorial about building Vim from the official sources (not any "debian" or
      >> "ubuntu" sources which might be less than up-to-date or contain patches not
      >> sactioned by Bram) on any Unix-like system.
      >
      > They cannot be out of date, since part of the install process ftp's
      > down the latest patches from ftp.vim.org, and they produce packages
      > that can be installed through your package manager, rather than
      > requiring contortions to track dynamic library dependencies and such.
      > ./configure && make && make install is nice and all, but it has
      > serious shortcomings in terms of versioning and cleanup, especially
      > with regard to tracking which versions of all of your shared object
      > files you still need around on your system.
      >
      > Of course, they do include a few unofficial patches (25 in the latest
      > Ubuntu sources), but that's certainly not a bad thing; it is, after
      > all, how open source moves forward, and most of them will certainly be
      > moved to upstream as soon as the distro maintainers have time to
      > handle it.
      >
      > I find it rather silly to suggest using `make install' when there's
      > a better alternative being offered.
      >
      >> Best regards,
      >> Tony.
      >
      > ~Matt

      "Better" is a matter of taste; and I'm wary of "unofficial patches". Depending
      on to whom you listen, Debian's "own" patches either "fix" (according to
      Debian) or "introduce" (according to e.g. Mozilla) instabilities in the
      software they distribute. I suppose the same might well apply to Ubuntu and
      Vim, though I'm with another distributor (Novell/SuSE) whose Vim distributions
      I'm not using because they lag too much behind Bram's.

      The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age
      brings wisdom.
      -- H. L. Mencken