47061Defining new visual-mode motions?

  • Joseph Barker
    May 31 3:57 PM
      Hello, all.

      I was recently helping someone out with a vim script (camelcasemotion.vim)
      which adds additional motion commands (they treat camel-cased words
      (WordsLikeThis) as separate words, rather than as a single word). This is
      easy enough to do in normal and operator-pending mode. It seems to be very
      complicated to do this in visual mode, though -- calling a function (or
      anything that lets you move the cursor) seems to force you to leave visual
      mode (i.e., doing `vmap ,w :<C-U>call MoveCursor()` will move the cursor to
      the right place, but you're no longer in visual mode).

      My approach to this was to call the movement function, set a mark, select
      the previous visual block (with gv) and then jump to the mark that was
      previously set. The mapping that I created to deal with this is the
      following:

      vmap <silent> ,w @="\33:\25call
      <SID>CamelCaseMotion('w',1,'v')"<CR><CR>m`gvg``

      This seems somewhat inelegant, and also clobbers a mark to be able to
      accomplish its magic. Is there an easier way to accomplish the same thing?
      It seems like there should be, but I was unable to figure one out.

      Thanks for your help.

      JKB
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic