46504RE: VIM doesn't need new features?!?!

  • Suresh Govindachar
    Apr 15 7:56 PM
      Peter Michaux wrote on April 15, 2007

      > I like VIM. I want to use VIM as my everyday editor. I even
      > spent a frustrating week trying to determine if VIM could
      > replace Textmate as my main editor. VIM is very good for
      > working with a single file but the concept of a project is not
      > really there.

      If the user has a certain concept of a "project" vim gives him
      many ways to implement that concept. But it is up to him to work
      at defining the concept and using some language (vimL, perl or
      python) to implement it.

      > I looked at plugins, talked with people in #vim about plugins
      > and how to extend VIM.

      A few others have implemented their idea of a "project" and
      offered their work to others as plugins at vim.org.

      > I figured it would probably take a year of spare time for me to
      > learn how and then write the plugin

      Too bad that none of their idea of a "project" matches yours!

      > to do what Textmate can do with respect to projects right when
      > it is installed: a project drawer, project tabs, multiple open
      > projects, project-wide search and selective replace. And now I
      > see that VIM doesn't need more features...
      >
      > http://www.vim.org/soc/ideas.php

      The preceding shows you have trouble reading -- that page has a
      link to a "voting page", which page lists certain core features
      that could be added to vim. If your investigation into plugins
      was as casual as your reading of the above link, then your efforts
      at finding and evaluating existing plugins in relation to your
      notion of a project are likely to have been botched!

      > Darn.
      >
      > Peter
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic