45819Re: GNOME HIG compliance in gvim: button order in close confirmation dialogs (PATCH)

  • Trenton Schulz
    Jan 8, 2007
      On Jan 7, 2007, at 1:03 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Edward Catmur wrote:
      >
      >> This patch improves HIG compliance when compiled with FEAT_GUI_GNOME:
      >>
      >> * Close confirmation dialogs use "Save/Discard/Cancel" instead of
      >> "Yes/No/Cancel"
      >> * GTK_STOCK_SAVE used for "Save"
      >> * Default button placed at end of message dialog, with order
      >> passed in
      >> set as alternative button order
      >>
      >> vim_dialog_yesnocancel() is renamed to vim_dialog_savediscardcancel
      >> (),
      >> because that's all it's used for. Same for
      >> vim_dialog_yesnoallcancel().
      >
      > I'll look into this later. Perhaps Save/Discard/Cancel is better for
      > all GUIs, since you don't need to read the text to know whether "yes"
      > means "save" or "discard". But it will break the translations.

      Just being a lurker here, I would vote for this being in all GUIs
      (not that we get votes here). Having the actual save/discard vs. yes/
      no makes it much simpler to look at a message box and know which
      button to press (probably why the "File Changed" dialog in Vim is a
      bit easier to decide what to do than the "Save Changes" dialog IMO).

      FWIW, the OS X guidelines also recommend this as well, (though they
      seem to prefer "Don't Save", Discard is better than "No").

      Breaking translations is unfortunate though, but it is a one-time
      cost (hopefully)... Vim 7.1-type thing?

      -- Trenton
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic