45817Re: GNOME HIG compliance in gvim: button order in close confirmation dialogs (PATCH)

  • Edward Catmur
    Jan 7, 2007
      On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 13:03 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Edward Catmur wrote:
      > > * Close confirmation dialogs use "Save/Discard/Cancel" instead of
      > > "Yes/No/Cancel"
      > I'll look into this later. Perhaps Save/Discard/Cancel is better for
      > all GUIs, since you don't need to read the text to know whether "yes"
      > means "save" or "discard". But it will break the translations.
      Thanks. I know some GUIs are replete with message dialogs where you
      have to read the text to know which button to press, but they stick out
      like a sore thumb in Gnome. As for the string break: looking at the
      pofiles, a guessed translation (from the existing "Save all", "Discard
      all") looks feasible in almost all cases; would it be acceptable for me
      to attempt that?

      > > Also attached is a patch to disable guioptions="t" (tearoff menus) when
      > > compiled with FEAT_GUI_GNOME, also for desktop consistency.
      > You mean that the default is not to use tearoff menus, one can still
      > have them when wanted.
      Yes. Sorry for the confusion.

      Ed
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic