45797Re: Does 'man' syntax do its job?

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Jan 3, 2007
      Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
      [...]
      > Unfortunately, IMHO, inline folding didn't get enough votes during vim
      > 7.0's development, and Bram is uncomfortable with the idea of inline
      > folding because it, naturally enough, suppresses information (Vince's
      > patch typically folds all lines but the current one). At least, that's
      > how I understand the state of things.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Chip Campbell

      Doesn't linewise folding also suppress information? Yet Vim has had that for
      quite some time. It is true that it doesn't make the folds disappear
      completely; rather, each outer closed fold is replaced by one line. That
      wouldn't work for inline folding; but maybe it could use the 'foldcolumn' or
      something to draw attention to the fact that something has been hidden.

      And BTW, the Hidden highlight group (guibg=bg guifg=bg) also "suppresses"
      whatever uses it, yet IIUC it is used a lot in helpfiles. I'm not sure about
      netrw, but the older Explorer plugin also used it to hide its sort key.