45788Does 'man' syntax do its job?

  • Zvi Har'El
    Jan 1, 2007
      Hi,

      I tried to use view with the 'man' syntax, for example on the file vimtutor.man
      obtained by

      GROFF_NO_SGR=y groff -Tascii -man $(man -w vimtutor) > vimtutor.man

      (see http://www.math.technion.ac.il/~rl/etc/vimtutor.man)
      (this is not the file vimtutor.man in the vim distribution - the latter
      doesn't include embedded backspaces).

      I have the following problem: while the character before an embedded backspace
      is ignored (sort of: it is colored white), the backspace is printed as a ^H.
      I would expect the two characters to be skipped all together. The same effect
      is generated without the man syntax, just with sourcing
      $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/ctrlh.vim. This is not new to 7.0 - 6.3 shows the same
      results. You can see a screen dump of 'gview' in
      http://www.math.technion.ac.il/~rl/etc/gview.jpg , and of 'view' on an xterm
      with a yellow background in http://www.math.technion.ac.il/~rl/etc/view.jpg. I
      I ran 'gview' and 'view' with the command line

      gview -i NONE -c 'syntax on' vimtutor.man

      view -i NONE -c 'syntax on' vimtutor.man

      Regards,

      Zvi
      --
      Dr. Zvi Har'El mailto:rl@... Department of Mathematics
      tel:+972-54-4227607 icq:179294841 Technion - Israel Institute of Technology