45137Re: gvim segfaulting on Solaris 10

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Oct 1, 2006
      Ali Akcaagac wrote:
      > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 19:16 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
      >>> -Wl,--export-dynamic
      >
      > This line tells the linker to link only necessary libraries dynamically.
      > Rather than linking everything. This makes files usually become smaller
      > and loading up much faster. This is no "hack" it's a valid linker
      > instruction.
      >
      >> Seeing that there is a configure option for GNOME (--enable-gnome-check) I
      >> tend to use that rather than a CFLAGS hack; and at the end of make, it tries
      >> to remove the libs one by one, then re-links with some libraries removed.
      >> IIUC, the bonobo libs are kept in.
      >>
      >> "readelf -d `which vim` |grep bonobo" gives the following:
      >>
      >> 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonoboui-2.so.0]
      >> 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-2.so.0]
      >> 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-activation.so.4]
      >
      > Interesting!
      >
      > After grep'ing through the VIM source I really detected Bonobo Dockitems
      > inside it. Unfortunately that's all "soon to be" deprecated stuff and
      > should be avoided as much as possible..
      >
      > Why this ?
      >
      > a) BonoboUI elements are dead stuff and will be removed pretty soon.
      > I only wish this stuff would have happened a few years earlier.
      > b) The recommended way for GNOME and GTK+ GUI's is by using GTK+ (This
      > is not just my idea but a regular advise because of the fact that all
      > GUI elements for GTK+ and GNOME will move inside GTK+- means
      > BonoboUI and hopefully GNOMEUI components are getting removed).
      > c) It only adds a new load of complexity e.g. makes the VIM binary
      > bulkier by depending on a lot of not necessary libraries.
      >
      > greetings,
      >
      > Ali Akcaagac

      You can compile Vim with GTK+1 or GTK+2 without GNOME. Adding GNOME
      functionality means, among other things maybe, that gvim will automagically
      and transparently save its session (with a pseudorandom name like
      ~/.gnome2/vim-WSj1NP-session.vim so it doesn't collide with your own sessions
      if any) when you close the GNOME or kde window manager.