45136Re: gvim segfaulting on Solaris 10

  • Ali Akcaagac
    Oct 1, 2006
      On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 19:16 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
      > > -Wl,--export-dynamic

      This line tells the linker to link only necessary libraries dynamically.
      Rather than linking everything. This makes files usually become smaller
      and loading up much faster. This is no "hack" it's a valid linker
      instruction.

      > Seeing that there is a configure option for GNOME (--enable-gnome-check) I
      > tend to use that rather than a CFLAGS hack; and at the end of make, it tries
      > to remove the libs one by one, then re-links with some libraries removed.
      > IIUC, the bonobo libs are kept in.
      >
      > "readelf -d `which vim` |grep bonobo" gives the following:
      >
      > 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonoboui-2.so.0]
      > 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-2.so.0]
      > 0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libbonobo-activation.so.4]

      Interesting!

      After grep'ing through the VIM source I really detected Bonobo Dockitems
      inside it. Unfortunately that's all "soon to be" deprecated stuff and
      should be avoided as much as possible..

      Why this ?

      a) BonoboUI elements are dead stuff and will be removed pretty soon.
      I only wish this stuff would have happened a few years earlier.
      b) The recommended way for GNOME and GTK+ GUI's is by using GTK+ (This
      is not just my idea but a regular advise because of the fact that all
      GUI elements for GTK+ and GNOME will move inside GTK+- means
      BonoboUI and hopefully GNOMEUI components are getting removed).
      c) It only adds a new load of complexity e.g. makes the VIM binary
      bulkier by depending on a lot of not necessary libraries.

      greetings,

      Ali Akcaagac
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic