45092Re: no winclose event

  • Charles E Campbell Jr
    Sep 27, 2006
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      >Charles Campbell wrote:
      >

      >>Just a suggestion -- I'd appreciate a WinClose event. BufWinLeave would
      >>almost do, but if two or more windows are open on the same buffer, then
      >>no event. WinLeave fires whenever one changes windows, which isn't
      >>what I want, either. Unless I'm misunderstanding the help for these two
      >>events.
      >>

      >What would this event be used for?
      >
      >The WinResized event has also been suggested. It could be used to
      >update the Window layout. It will also be triggered when a window is
      >closed, since another window will get bigger then. Would it be
      >sufficient to only have a WinResized event? Would these events also be
      >triggered when closing the last window of a tab page?

      As an example: I have debugging output in a left hand window (Decho.vim
      produces this sort of output);
      when I hit <f9> on a function name, a vertically split window shows up
      on the right and tags to the
      named function. However, if that window already exists, I just want to
      re-use it, not split and create another
      one. To do that correctly, I need that window, when it is actually
      closed, to perform some cleanup (ie. make a change
      in a script variable). I want to allow other vertical windows, so there
      isn't necessarily a fixed number of vertically
      split panes. Actually, the script also allows <s-f9> to create a left
      hand source window: [leftsource|debugging|rightsource].

      The leftsource and right source windows may well be open to the same
      source file. Consequently the various buffer
      closing events aren't adequate. BufWinLeave almost does the trick, but
      there's that "not when a buffer is still visible
      in another window" caveat associated with it. That's what I've been
      using, but it really isn't adequate.

      A WinResized might easily occur when that window wasn't closed, too.

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic