44643Re: better recognising of tex vs plaintex filetype

  • Stefano Zacchiroli
    Aug 26, 2006
      On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 08:42:39AM +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
      > I don't think this is correct: these commands can be defined (and
      > therefore appear) in plain TeX documents too (defined by the document
      > writer), and they are defined by other TeX formats too (eplain and
      > AMS-TeX, for example). Moreover, LaTeX requires these to appear before
      > \begin{document}: in a LaTeX document there is some possibility of
      > them appearing before only within a definition or somesuch, in which
      > case \newcommand & similia will appear before.

      Good point.

      Still, with the current situation, working with long latex document,
      likely to be split in several files which are \included from a single
      on, is annoying.

      The reason being that the included files do not have a preamble, and the
      recognition of 'tex' vs 'plaintex' is mainly based on stuff to appear in
      preamble. Note that not recognizing files as 'tex' properly will inhibit
      an important plugin as the vim latex suite to be loaded automatically.

      Maybe is just a matter of changing the default to 'tex' then?
      I tend to believe that the vast majority of documents in some \TeX
      dialect authored these day are \LaTeX ones ...

      Cheers.