44353Re: vim -S

  • mwoehlke
    Jul 31, 2006
      A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
      > Rodolfo Borges wrote:
      >> I made a file with vim commands, starting with
      >> #!/usr/bin/vim -S
      >> so I can execute the file directly, instead of using "vim -S file".
      >> The problem is that vim tries to execute this first line too.
      >> Can we have a workaround on this?
      >> Like, ignoring "#!" at the start of a command, instead of giving the
      >> "no ! allowed" error?
      >> Or am I having it all wrong?
      > Method I:
      > -----8<----- foo (or whatever)
      > #!/bin/bash
      > vim -S foo.vim
      > ----->8-----
      > then put the rest in foo.vim and do "chmod a+x foo" or "chmod 0755 foo".
      > Method II: add to one of your shell startup scripts (~/.bashrc or
      > whatever):
      > alias foo='vim -S ~/foo.vim'
      > Commentary:
      > In a vim script, the first line has no special meaning. Empty lines,
      > blank lines (i.e. consisting only of spaces and/or tabs) and lines
      > starting with zero or more spaces or tabs plus a double quote are
      > comments; the rest are ex-commands (which don't have to start with a
      > colon). ":#" is synonymous with ":number" so Vim tries to execute your
      > first line as the command ":number!/usr/bin/vim -S". Now the ":number"
      > command doesn't accept a bang (there is no ":number!" command), so you
      > get an error.

      So... if it's an error, and we know it's an error, and will always be an
      error (at least at the present)... is in unreasonable to make '#!.*', as
      the first line of a '-S' script, be ignored?

      *I* thought it was a reasonable suggestion...

      DOS Attack: See America Online -- my college room mate
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic