44190Re: question for charles (or anyone): netrw whacking t

  • Benji Fisher
    Jul 11 8:09 PM
      On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 06:53:23PM -0500, scott wrote:
      > charles--
      >
      > i have formatoptions set in my .vimrc to tcroqn
      >
      > i have a script i call gvime that starts 'vim -g -c Explore'
      > (i tried 'gvim -c Explore' with the same result)
      >
      > if i run gvime, and select a file to edit, i find
      > formatoptions is now croqn -- the t has been whacked,
      > and even with a modeline setting textwidth, i am
      > manually formatting paragraphs, running scriptnames,
      > and generally having a bad day

      I think I see the problem. In $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrw.vim , in
      the function netrw#DirBrowse() , there are the lines

      if &fo =~ '[ta]'
      set fo-=t
      set fo-=a
      echohl Warning
      echo '***warning*** directory browsing and formatoptions "ta" are incompatible'
      echohl None
      endif

      (I am not sure that I ever get to see that warning message.) I think
      that replacing :set with :setlocal will fix the problem. Remember, when
      dealing with a local option, :set changes both the local value and the
      global default; :setlocal changes only the value.

      I think other options are being affected, too. I am too
      bleary-eyed to be sure, but I think that 'spell' and 'tw' in other
      buffers are being affected by the netrw window. I think the problem
      comes from lines like

      if exists("w:spellkeep")|let &spell = w:spellkeep |unlet w:spellkeep|endif
      if exists("w:twkeep") |let &tw = w:twkeep |unlet w:twkeep |endif

      Instead of

      :let &spell = ...

      I think it should be

      :let &l:spell = ...