44120Re: minor feature request: let!

  • Eric Arnold
    Jul 2, 2006
      On 7/2/06, Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach@...> wrote:
      > Dnia niedziela, 2 lipca 2006 12:06, Nikolai Weibull napisaƂ:
      > > On 7/1/06, justin constantino <goflyapig@...> wrote:
      > > > E706: Variable type mismatch
      > > >
      > > > As a minor improvement, I think it would be nice if you could do:
      > > >
      > > > let foo = "one,two,three"
      > > > let! foo = split(foo, ',')
      > >
      > > I think we should just remove the whole restriction.
      > >
      > Definitely not. I was thinking about suggestion of :let! few times before
      > and each time I was throwing it away. For example :let allows to change
      > settings. Silently dropping changing of option value or setting it to
      > some absurd setting would be Bad Thing(tm).
      >
      > m.

      I was thinking of some pragma/option, like Perl's "strict" where you
      could choose the behavior. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have
      the convenience of having dynamic typing and initialization ("duck
      typing", I love that :-) at the expense of having to code more
      carefully. Others will feel otherwise. It'd be nice to have both,
      and it can be done.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic