43993Re: Patch: Make_mvc.mak creates an empty gvim.exe.mnf file

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Jun 18, 2006
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      >>> This has always worked just fine. When does it fail?
      >>>
      >> The gvim.exe.mnf always was empty -- but as George Reilly (who made
      >> the skipt) told me, it is only used for 64-Bit Windows.
      >
      > Strange, the echo commands for the pathdef.c file have always worked just
      > fine.
      >
      >> On the other hand, the error message ("FATAL error: echo returned
      >> '1'") was only issued from time to time, depending on the commands I
      >> typed in before. However, the message appeared in a reproducible
      >> manner if I issued the nmake command from within a BATCH file.
      >
      > This smells like a bug in nmake.
      >
      >> I checked the documentation of nmake from VC 8.0 (VS 2005) and from
      >> VC 6.0 to see if inline files can be handled. Since it is possible
      >> and since I can compile Vim _only_ like that, I'm pretty sure this
      >> patch facilitate the life of many users.
      >>
      >> My environment: Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition.
      >>
      >> C:>cmd -version
      >> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
      >>
      >> C:>nmake /?
      >> Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42
      >> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
      >
      > Before including this change I would have to check the file still works
      > with old versions of MSVC. I still need to use 4.1 to be able to
      > generate a win32s version.

      echo string1 > file
      echo string2 >> file
      echo string3 >> file
      etc.

      ought to work, _except_ when the string is (ignoring case) ON OFF or
      empty (in which case you will set, clear or display the echo on/off
      setting instead of writing / appending to the file). People were using
      it in batch files in Dos from time immemorial, with shells which didn't
      know about inline documents.