43985Re: Patch: Make_mvc.mak creates an empty gvim.exe.mnf file

  • Mathias Michaelis
    Jun 18, 2006
      Bram

      >> Patch
      >> Problem: Make_mvc.mak creates an empty gvim.exe.mnf file
      >> (or stops with an error message).
      >> Solution: Don't use 'echo' to create files. Use inline files
      >> instead.
      >> Files: src/Make_mvc.mak
      >
      > This has always worked just fine. When does it fail?

      The gvim.exe.mnf always was empty -- but as George Reilly (who made
      the skipt) told me, it is only used for 64-Bit Windows.

      On the other hand, the error message ("FATAL error: echo returned
      '1'") was only issued from time to time, depending on the commands I
      typed in before. However, the message appeared in a reproducible
      manner if I issued the nmake command from within a BATCH file.

      I checked the documentation of nmake from VC 8.0 (VS 2005) and from
      VC 6.0 to see if inline files can be handled. Since it is possible
      and since I can compile Vim _only_ like that, I'm pretty sure this
      patch facilitate the life of many users.

      My environment: Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition.

      C:>cmd -version
      Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

      C:>nmake /?
      Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42

      With best regards

      Mathias
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic