43862Re: I just updated my Vim site

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Jun 5, 2006
      Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
      > I read your previous emails about your windows laptop being out and that
      > you prefer Linux etc., so I have a suggestion. Why don't you install
      > VMWare virtual server on your Linux box and have windows run just for
      > the builds? If you don't want to purchase a license, it is still easy to
      > get a free VM by using their free VMWare Player (you need to start from
      > an existing downloadable free VM's and format and reinstall Windows on
      > it). Several people have done this trick (ie, using VMWare player to
      > create new VMs) and you can find a number of blogs on the net.

      What exactly is VMWare? Anything making my machine a server (accessible
      from clients on the Net) is a no-no. I am vaguely thinking of installing
      Wine just for the builds, but (a) I don't remember whether it requires a
      "true" Windows OS, and (b) running Cygwin on top of Wine on top of Linux
      strikes me as somewhat ridiculous. (The Windows compilation process
      which I "understand" uses Cygwin and the Make_cyg.mak to produce a
      "native-Windows" build by means of the "MinGW for Cygwin" compiler.) I
      think I'll keep my HowTo pages up (so it'll be easier for people to
      compile their own) and let Steve Hall distribute patched versions of Vim
      for Windows (a job I took from him when it seemed to me that his builds
      weren't forthcoming often enough). I hear that a self-installer for gvim
      7.0.017 is currently available on his site; if he keeps it up there's no
      reason for me to duplicate the work.

      I have reserved space on my hard disk for a vfat partition, but that is
      empty space for the time being. I don't see Windows on the market except
      as OEM versions sold exclusively together with new computers, and I want
      neither a pirated version nor something unacceptably costly...

      OTOH, I'm not ready to distribute my "gvim for Linux" because I don't
      feel like it is of acceptable quality for "public consumption" (no
      Python, no MzScheme, no /dyn features...); but compiling on Linux is
      remarkably easy (once the required "development" packages are installed)
      so let's encourage Unix/Linux users to compile their own builds. That's
      where my new HowTo for Unix comes into play. I hope it will be useful.