42687Re: Problems OS X intel 6.x series

    Apr 2, 2006
      Brad Beveridge wrote:

      > I've spent most of today trying to build various Vims (6.2, 6.4, 6
      > series CVS) under OS X Intel.
      > I configured with "./configure --prefix=3D/opt/local --disable-darwin" I
      > only want the console version.
      > I was getting malloc/free problems in expand_files, it looked like
      > repl was being freed without being assigned to a valid pointer.
      > After much insanity, it appears that Apple's GCC causes some breakage
      > with -O2. Reducing the optimisation level to -O, it works again.
      >
      > gcc --version
      > i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5250)
      >
      > Can some other OS X Intel owners try this to confirm there is a
      > problem? Any idea how to raise this with Apple?

      This is a gcc 4.0.1 problem. The optimizer reorders the code, so that a
      block of memory is freed before it is used. I stepped through it with
      the debugger to verify this actually happens.

      I haven't reported it, the docs on how to report bugs is very confusing.

      --
      This message contains 78% recycled characters.