42050Re: :match and 'hlsearch'

    Mar 2 1:58 AM
      Benji Fisher wrote:

      > On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 12:24:17AM +0100, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:
      > >
      > > Possibility 1: We already have named autocommand groups. Couldn't we
      > > have similar (and similarly optional) match groups, thus allowing an
      > > unlimited number of parallel (named) matches but keeping the present
      > > behaviour by default (if no matchgroups are used)?
      > >
      > > Possibility 2: Alternately, why stay at a meagre two or three? Let's
      > > foresee ten of them (:match or :0match, :1match, .. :9match). As my old
      > > chemistry teacher used to say: "If you want to have enough, make sure
      > > you have too much."
      >
      > I like the first suggestion. Perhaps search highlighting could be
      > made part of the :match hierarchy (matchgroup Search). One issue to
      > consider is priority. If I have
      >
      > matchgroup Foo
      > match Search /[aeiou]/
      >
      > matchgroup Bar
      > match WarningMsg /[abcde]/
      >
      > matchgroup END
      >
      > then how does "a" get highlighted? I suggest letting the last-defined
      > match win. I suspect it is easy to implement; it means that whatever
      > match I define right now shows its effect immediately; and if
      > "matchgroup Search" is defined internally, then :match has priority over
      > hlsearch, so it is backwards compatible.
      >
      > Bram, once again you have proven that the problem with adding new
      > features is that we users just ask for more. It is like juggling:
      > "Wow, you can juggle four! Can you do five?"

      Right. That's why I think three matches are enough. If you try to
      juggle four you'll get confused and drop one.

      You appear to underestimate the impact matches have on redrawing speed.
      There is a penatly for having to redraw more often and a penalty per
      character to check for highlighting. I rather have plugin developers
      stuggle with the small number of matches available than me having to
      struggle to keep redrawing speedy. Sometimes less is better.

      7. Finish all your sentences with "in accordance with the prophecy".