42045Re: :match and 'hlsearch'

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Mar 1, 2006
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Yakov Lerner wrote:
      >
      >> "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:
      >>> Right, the matchparen plugin uses ":match" and thus clears any previous
      >>> match pattern.
      >>>
      >>> Perhaps we should use a separate match for the matchparen plugin?
      >> Why not allow N separate match'es, identified by user-supplied name ?
      >>
      >> For example, then 'match Column80 Error /\%80c.*/' would peacefully
      >> coexist with paren-match and with 'unnamed' match set manually by the
      >> user.
      >>
      >> I use match sometimes. I think there might be uses for named matches.
      >
      > That's getting very complicated. It would require additional commands
      > to list the matches defined, clear matches by name or all of them, etc.
      > Implementation isn't simple either.
      >
      > I tend to think that two or three matches will be sufficient. One for
      > the matchparen plugin, one for manual matching and one for another
      > plugin.

      Possibility 1: We already have named autocommand groups. Couldn't we
      have similar (and similarly optional) match groups, thus allowing an
      unlimited number of parallel (named) matches but keeping the present
      behaviour by default (if no matchgroups are used)?

      Possibility 2: Alternately, why stay at a meagre two or three? Let's
      foresee ten of them (:match or :0match, :1match, .. :9match). As my old
      chemistry teacher used to say: "If you want to have enough, make sure
      you have too much."