42041Re: :match and 'hlsearch'

  • mzyzik@gmail.com
    Mar 1, 2006
      > I realize that it would be additional work, but I think it would be
      > worth it. There are quite a few things the :match command could be
      > used for that can't be done with syntax highlighting.

      Ok I'm confused. What can ":match" do that ":syn match" cannot?

      And for reference, I always use this in all my buffers:
      highlight WhiteSpaceEOL ctermbg=darkgreen guibg=lightgreen
      match WhiteSpaceEOL /\(^\s*\)\@<=\ \|\s\+$/
      It matches all trailing whitespace and also any spaces in leading
      whitespace.

      If I do another match it clears the first. I noticed that I can do
      multiple ":syn match" though. Can someone explain the difference.

      --Matt
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic