42035Re: :match and 'hlsearch'

    Mar 1, 2006
      Yakov Lerner wrote:

      > "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:
      > > Right, the matchparen plugin uses ":match" and thus clears any previous
      > > match pattern.
      > >
      > > Perhaps we should use a separate match for the matchparen plugin?
      >
      > Why not allow N separate match'es, identified by user-supplied name ?
      >
      > For example, then 'match Column80 Error /\%80c.*/' would peacefully
      > coexist with paren-match and with 'unnamed' match set manually by the
      > user.
      >
      > I use match sometimes. I think there might be uses for named matches.

      That's getting very complicated. It would require additional commands
      to list the matches defined, clear matches by name or all of them, etc.
      Implementation isn't simple either.

      I tend to think that two or three matches will be sufficient. One for
      the matchparen plugin, one for manual matching and one for another
      plugin.

      1. At lunch time, sit in your parked car with sunglasses on and point
      a hair dryer at passing cars. See if they slow down.