41646Re: "window tabs" and "frames/pages"

  • Benji Fisher
    Feb 6, 2006
      On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 10:27:11AM -0500, mzyzik@... wrote:
      > > Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
      > > communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
      > > insist on gvim.
      > >
      > > Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
      > > instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
      > > jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
      > > new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
      > > Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
      > > making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
      > > off in the same state.
      > >
      > > Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
      > > but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
      > > of vim to share a buffer.
      > >
      > > OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
      > > the tab gets its own window?
      > >
      > > --Benji Fisher
      >
      > Undoubtedly implementing the multiple windows to represent
      > "frames/pages" will be difficult to implement. I think Bram would be
      > reluctant to introduce frames in Vim7 if this was a requirement. We
      > should consider this once the tabs and frames are working well within
      > one window.

      In my first post on this thread, I advocated considering the design
      issues of multiple windows at the same time that we discuss tabs, and I
      still think that is a good idea. Since I am not volunteering to do any
      development, I do not have much to say about when to implement these
      features. Maybe it is right to have tabs in vim 7.0 and put off windows
      until 7.2 or 8.0.

      > Basically what I'm saying is, we should just get the frames working
      > first, hopefully in Vim7, and then consider the multiple windows per
      > frames later. Besides, the two votes in the top 10 are for frames, and
      > tabs for those frames; with no mention of multiple windows.

      I am not sure what you mean by that last sentence. Are we looking
      at the same list? From http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php :

      9 146 (-12) 32 -8 support multiple top-level windows for one running Vim

      --Benji Fisher
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic