41640Re: "window tabs" and "frames/pages"

  • Benji Fisher
    Feb 6 5:36 AM
      On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 03:30:30PM -0600, Gautam Iyer wrote:
      > On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
      >
      > > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > >
      > > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
      > > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
      > >
      > > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
      > > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
      > > a real plus.
      >
      > Well for me the real plus of having multiple windows is to "detach"
      > tabs! Would that be easy to implement if you have multiple gvim
      > instances communicating?
      >
      > If you do manage to do this with multiple gvim instances communicating,
      > then I'm hoping that tabs (and buffers) can be somehow magically moved
      > between console vim instances (which is all I use anyway!).
      >
      > But yes, I'm all for multiple windows and (detachable) tabs!

      Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
      communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
      insist on gvim.

      Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
      instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
      jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
      new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
      Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
      making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
      off in the same state.

      Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
      but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
      of vim to share a buffer.

      OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
      the tab gets its own window?

      --Benji Fisher
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic