41632Re: "window tabs" and "frames/pages"

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Feb 5, 2006
      Johnny Blaze wrote:
      > On 2/4/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
      >>> Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
      >>> But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
      >>> a real plus.
      >>> Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
      >>> gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.
      >>> Just my 0.02 EUR.
      >>> Cheers.
      >> Both of these can be implemented as user-defined
      >> commands/maps/menus. Assuming that gvim is in your path,
      >> :!gvim
      >> will start up a new instance. If you want the current windows and
      >> buffers, then
      >> :mksession <tempfile>
      >> :gvim -S <tempfile>
      >> will do.
      >> The problem is that you will then get a bunch of warning messages,
      >> telling you that the buffers are all being edited already: edit
      >> read-only, edit anyway, recover, or quit? With multiple tabs or with
      >> multiple gwindows, you would not want this to happen: there is only one
      >> running gvim, and it has one copy of each buffer no matter how many
      >> windows/tabs/gwindows are viewing it.
      >> BTW, others have asked why you would ever want to hide the tabs if
      >> there are multiple tabs open. Here is one scenario: I am writing a
      >> script, and I prefer to use :s rather than substitute(). I would like
      >> to open a temporary buffer. If I can do this in a hidden tab, then I do
      >> not have to worry about messing up the current view. This also argues
      >> for the option of having separate command and search histories for each
      >> tab.
      >> --Benji Fisher
      > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
      > set tabs
      > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
      > set notabs
      > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get the current behavior with
      > out any kind of tab-line.
      > --
      > . o O pyromancer O o .

      Hello Johnny. Without changing anything in the current versions of
      (g)vim, you can use "Rolodex Vim", as follows:

      :set noequalalways winminheight=0 winheight=99999

      or if you're lazy ;-) :

      :set noea wmh=0 wh=999

      Only the current buffer's contents (the current tab's, if you will) will
      be visible, and all other "horizontally split windows" will be reduced
      to a status line each and nothing else (displaying the corresponding
      filename). Think of these status lines (above and below the active tab
      contents) as colored tabs (or black with white print) on the edges of
      the pages of a Rolodex before and after the current one. Click on a
      "tab" to open it, or use {number}^Ww to open the nth one, ^Ww with no
      number for the next one, ^WW for the previous one (in the two latter
      cases, in round-robin fashion).