41631Re: "window tabs" and "frames/pages"

  • Johnny Blaze
    Feb 5, 2006
      On 2/4/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
      > On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
      > > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
      > > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
      > >
      > > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
      > > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
      > > a real plus.
      > >
      > > Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
      > > gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.
      > >
      > > Just my 0.02 EUR.
      > > Cheers.
      >
      > Both of these can be implemented as user-defined
      > commands/maps/menus. Assuming that gvim is in your path,
      >
      > :!gvim
      >
      > will start up a new instance. If you want the current windows and
      > buffers, then
      >
      > :mksession <tempfile>
      > :gvim -S <tempfile>
      >
      > will do.
      >
      > The problem is that you will then get a bunch of warning messages,
      > telling you that the buffers are all being edited already: edit
      > read-only, edit anyway, recover, or quit? With multiple tabs or with
      > multiple gwindows, you would not want this to happen: there is only one
      > running gvim, and it has one copy of each buffer no matter how many
      > windows/tabs/gwindows are viewing it.
      >
      > BTW, others have asked why you would ever want to hide the tabs if
      > there are multiple tabs open. Here is one scenario: I am writing a
      > script, and I prefer to use :s rather than substitute(). I would like
      > to open a temporary buffer. If I can do this in a hidden tab, then I do
      > not have to worry about messing up the current view. This also argues
      > for the option of having separate command and search histories for each
      > tab.
      >
      > --Benji Fisher

      Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:

      set tabs

      then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...

      set notabs

      then when you do a :sball or :new, you get the current behavior with
      out any kind of tab-line.

      --

      . o O pyromancer O o .
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic