41610Re: "window tabs" and "frames/pages"

    Feb 3, 2006
      Benji Fisher wrote:

      > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:44:26PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > >
      > > At first there will be no local-to-tab options. It will make things
      > > quite complicated, thus hopefully we can avoid them.
      > >
      > > Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
      > > you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
      > > commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!
      >
      > While discussing design issues for tabs, I think we should also
      > think about multiple gwindows (that is, windows in the GUI sense) for
      > gvim. From the user's point of view, a separate gwindow is a lot like a
      > separate tab that is displayed differently. A lot of the same issues
      > come up: should :windo and :bufdo act on the current tab/gwindow or on
      > all of them; which options should, by default, stick with a single
      > tab/gwindow; is there a separate command history for each tab/gwindow;
      > etc.
      >
      > If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
      > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
      > (which is not to say that this is actually justified) you get the second
      > most popular RFE. I am not suggesting that we tackle both right now,
      > just that we pay attention to common issues.

      There is one important difference: with multiple tabs you still have
      only one command line. With multiple toplevel windows you will have
      multiple command lines. That creates a lot of issues that aren't easy
      to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
      It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.

      252. You vote for foreign officials.