41603Re: "window tabs" and "frames/pages"

  • Benji Fisher
    Feb 3, 2006
      On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:44:26PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > At first there will be no local-to-tab options. It will make things
      > quite complicated, thus hopefully we can avoid them.
      >
      > Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
      > you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
      > commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!

      While discussing design issues for tabs, I think we should also
      think about multiple gwindows (that is, windows in the GUI sense) for
      gvim. From the user's point of view, a separate gwindow is a lot like a
      separate tab that is displayed differently. A lot of the same issues
      come up: should :windo and :bufdo act on the current tab/gwindow or on
      all of them; which options should, by default, stick with a single
      tab/gwindow; is there a separate command history for each tab/gwindow;
      etc.

      If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
      http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
      (which is not to say that this is actually justified) you get the second
      most popular RFE. I am not suggesting that we tackle both right now,
      just that we pay attention to common issues.

      --Benji Fisher
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic