41059Re: Retrieving default values of options from a script

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Nov 19, 2005
      Nikolai Weibull wrote:
      > A. J. Mechelynck wrote:
      [...]
      > [Long and complicated way of getting at the default that doesn't take
      > into acount things such as changes to the default (new operating
      > systems, and so on), which only works for the 'fileformat' option.]
      >
      > Yes, I know exactly how to do what you describe. Your response actually
      > surprises me and I actually feel a bit offended by it. I thought it to
      > be obvious that I wasn't asking for a way of simulating the default. I
      > was asking for a way to get the _actual_ default, whatever that may be.
      > More in the sense of "can we please add a method to do so" than of "I
      > haven't read the docs and I don't know what to do", seeing as how I
      > described the behavior of the option in question.
      >
      > Actually, now that we have hashes in Vim 7, why not provided a hash that
      > has the names of options as keys and their values as, well, its values?
      > Perhaps also one that has the default values as its values.
      >
      > nikolai

      Rest assured that there was no intention to offend you. There are users
      of all competence levels on this list; and I was just trying to help
      you, showing how I might do it. BTW, it is not so "long and
      complicated"; it's just an implementation of what option.txt says as

      *'fileformat'* *'ff'*
      'fileformat' 'ff' string (MS-DOS, MS-Windows, OS/2 default: "dos",
      Unix default: "unix",
      Macintosh default: "mac")

      The reason it is as long as it is, is that there is no single "has()"
      feature name common to all versions of Dos, Windows, and OS/2. If it can
      be assumed that all non-Mac non-Unix systems are Dos, Windows or OS/2,
      then the third "elseif" can be replaced by "else" and the existing
      "else" clause (with its message) deleted altogether.

      About "hashes" (do you mean "dictionaries"?), I don't make the policy
      decisions for Vim, and I don't write Vim code except in very simple
      cases. I suppose that the solution you mention above might be feasible,
      but that's for Bram to decide.