40060Re: Mainly noise

  • Mike Williams
    Jul 5, 2005
      Bram Moolenaar did utter on 05/07/2005 10:29:
      > James Widman wrote:
      >>Anyway: (i = ++i) seems, at first glance, like a safe (albeit
      >>questionable) expression. One might think (as I did) that,
      >>regardless of which side of '=' is evaluated first, the result is
      >>the same. But ISO C99, section 6.5,p2 says:
      >>"Between the previous and next sequence point an object shall have
      >>its stored value modified at most once by the evaluation of an
      >>So according to C99, (p = vim_strchr(++p, '/')) results in undefined
      >>behavior because p is modified twice.
      >>ISO C++ has basically the same verbiage. I don't have our copies of
      >>ISO C90 or the first-edition K&R C book nearby, so I don't yet know
      >>the situation there.
      > The problem here is the standard. C99 is probably the worst C standard
      > that was ever made. It was clearly formed by politicians, not by
      > practical programmers. OK, well, that's just my opinion (a ran into a
      > couple of annoying problems).
      > That "undefined behavior" is stupid. Of course every good-old C
      > programmer can predict what should and will happen. Only very bad C
      > compilers would not be able to deal with it. The standard should be
      > adjusted to meet what programmers do and expect, not the other way
      > around.

      I would hope any good-old C programmer would spot the possibility of
      undefined behaviour and rewrite the expression to remove the problem.
      On some processors a good optimising compiler (producing correct fast
      code for well defined C) would fail with this invalid code. Side
      effects and sequence points are standard fare for any C job interview.

      Is there a lawyer in the house? <BLAM!!> Is there another?
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic