39669Re: Starting gvim without GUI

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Apr 26, 2005
      Gautam Iyer wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > So I've the following problem:
      >
      > My system has vim complied (without GUI, and normal feature list) in
      > /usr/bin/vim. It also has vim compliled (with GUI, huge features, perl
      > python etc) in /usr/bin/gvim. On the rare occasion I need to use one the
      > perl/python interface, I have to use gvim. But I *don't* want to start
      > the GUI. Is there any way I can do this?
      >
      > "vim -g" will start the gui. However there is no corresponding option to
      > "not start" the GUI if the program name is gvim. I can ofcourse put a
      > symlink called "vim-huge" in my ~/bin directory pointing to
      > /usr/bin/gvim. But I'd like to avoid that ... (and hoping a command line
      > option will be added to acomplish this task).
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Gautam

      Being on a Unix-like system, you stand already better than someone on
      W32 (where it is _not_ possible to start in console mode a version of
      Vim with GUI compiled-in).

      I see two possible solutions to your questions:

      Method 1: Move your gvim executable to the X11 executable directory
      under the name vim (and with a softlink gvim -> vim pointing to it). You
      can then invoke it in console mode with an explicit path, something like
      /usr/X11/bin/vim (or whatever).

      Method 2: Use a softlink vim (or vim-something) -> /usr/bin/gvim. That
      softlink could be named ~/bin/vim-huge or even ~/vim (out of your $PATH,
      and call it explicitly as ~/vim).