39667Starting gvim without GUI

  • Gautam Iyer
    Apr 26, 2005
      Hi All,

      So I've the following problem:

      My system has vim complied (without GUI, and normal feature list) in
      /usr/bin/vim. It also has vim compliled (with GUI, huge features, perl
      python etc) in /usr/bin/gvim. On the rare occasion I need to use one the
      perl/python interface, I have to use gvim. But I *don't* want to start
      the GUI. Is there any way I can do this?

      "vim -g" will start the gui. However there is no corresponding option to
      "not start" the GUI if the program name is gvim. I can ofcourse put a
      symlink called "vim-huge" in my ~/bin directory pointing to
      /usr/bin/gvim. But I'd like to avoid that ... (and hoping a command line
      option will be added to acomplish this task).

      Thanks in advance.

      Gautam

      --
      Time is not wasted if you are wasted all the time.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic